It was the vision of Dan Nagle, Scott County Conservation’s Director at the time, to use the three-acre site and original buildings as the start of an educational and historical park depicting early settlement life in rural Scott County. After Mr. Nagle’s retirement in 1998, the park was renamed in his honor as “Dan Nagle Walnut Grove Pioneer Village.”
Walnut Grove Pioneer Village began with the acquisition of Butler # 2 School in 1969 followed by the Ehler house with its summer kitchen and blacksmith shop in 1970 by Scott County Conservation.
The Ehler house and Blacksmith Shop were built here in 1860 followed by the school in 1870. The school was used from 1870 to 1968.