ATV, ORV & Snowmobile

ATV, ORV & Snowmobile

A roadside snowmobile sign.

New and/or transferred recreational vehicles are registered in Scott County. ATV, ORV and snowmobile registrations expire on December 31st of each year. ATV's and ORV's registered since January, 2000, and snowmobiles registered since January, 1998, must have a title.

Items needed when transferring an ATV, ORV or snowmobile:

  • Bill of Sale * (See below)
  • The most current registration signed
  • The title, if indicated
  • Make, Model, Model Year, VIN, Color, Weight, Engine Displacement (CCS) & Number of Wheels

Fees are due annually by December 31 without penalty.

* Before a recreational vehicle or vessel can be registered a receipt, bill of sale or satisfactory evidence that the sales or use tax has been paid for the purchase of the vehicle. Sales are subject to 7% if purchased in Iowa and 6% use tax if purchased out of state.

Use the following application for duplicate titles, Liens, or transfers:

Application instructions:

  • Application for Transferring Title and Registration
    The form and a check made payable to the Scott County Recorder is necessary for a title.
  • Application for Duplicate Title
    The form and a check made payable to the Scott County Recorder is necessary. Upon receipt of the duplicate title application there will be a five working day wait until issuance.
  • Application for Security Interest
    Security Interest requires the signature of the owner on an application, current title, lending institution name and address and check or money order made payable to the Scott County Recorder.

For assistance, please call 563-326-8622.

ATV, ORV and Snowmobile Rates

  • Renewal: $17.75
  • Late renewal: $22.75
  • New machines: $29.25 (between 9/1/2016 and 12/31/2016, an extra $5 fee for remaining 2016)
  • Liens: $11.50
  • Transfer used machines: $29.25 (between 9/1/2016 and 12/31/2016, an extra $5 fee for remaining 2016)
  • Duplicate titles: $11.50
  • Duplicate registrations: $7.75

For the most current rules and regulations, visit the Iowa DNR at: http://www.iowadnr.gov

Resident and nonresident snowmobile operators & nonresident OHV operators must have a user permit to recreate on Iowa’s designated riding areas, public lands, and public ice. A user permit can be purchased from your County Recorder.

News & Notices

During the month of April 2018, the Parcel Query and GIS mapping applications will be updated with a new consolidated property and map viewing solution named Beacon, hosted by the Schneider Corporation. The new service provides additional functionality and display options to users. The service will...
Posted: March 28, 2018
PASSPORT DAY – MARCH 21, 2018 Scott County Recorder, Rita Vargas, is extending their work day hours on Wednesday March 21, 2018, from 4:00 pm until 7:00 pm to provide passport acceptance services to citizens needing a first-time U.S. passport. Important! On April 2, 2018, the U.S. State Department...
Posted: March 9, 2018