Scott County is accepting online applications for the following position.:
Job Title: Emergency Management Planning Specialist
Closing Date/Time: Monday, 6/24/2019, 4:30 pm
Salary: $23.91 per hour
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Under general supervision of the Deputy Emergency Management Director, assists in overseeing the planning, organization, and administration of the Emergency Management Agency (EMA) program. Develops, implements and executes emergency preparedness and response plans. Provides emergency preparedness educational programs and performs outreach.
Residency Requirement: 20-mile radius of the Scott County Emergency Management Offices at 1100 E. 46th St., Davenport, IA 52807 within 6 months of hire.
1. Develops, maintains and updates emergency plans including Scott County Multi-Jurisdictional Basic Plan, Emergency Support Function (ESF) Plans and Annexes, Radiological Emergency Response Plans (RERP) and all other plans developed and/or promulgated as part of the mission of the Scott County Emergency Management Agency.
2. Plans, develops and coordinates response to multi-hazard emergency or disaster conditions, including but not limited to: terrorism, weather-related, major fire, hazardous materials, radiological incidents, etc.
3. Researches, analyzes and develops emergency preparedness and mitigation plans, policies, procedures and supporting documents. Reviews and evaluates local, state and federal laws and regulations as they relate to disaster and emergency response program elements.
4. Conducts vulnerability analyses and risk assessments. Performs tests, maintains and documents various systems and equipment related to local emergency preparedness and response including telecommunications, radio communications, radiological, indoor and outdoor warning systems, vehicles, supply stores and other emergency operations and/or radiological equipment.
5. Works closely and provides guidance to other agencies and municipalities with developing, integrating, implementing and exercising emergency preparedness plans.
6. Designs, conducts and participates in emergency management exercises, drills and training. Evaluates effectiveness and efficiency of exercise and event responses.
7. Plans, maintains and coordinates activation of Emergency Operations Center facilities and equipment.
8. Develops educational and promotional materials and activities, special events, exhibits and makes presentations to increase public awareness of emergency preparedness.
9. Assists with EMA's social media presence/activities.
10. Assists with on-scene and emergency operations activities related to response/recovery operations in the event of a disaster.
11. Collects and maintains documentation and keeps accurate records. Assists with completion of federal and state forms and activity reports as required.
12. Performs administrative work as necessary including assisting with budget preparation, grant applications and tracking expenditures.
13. Serves as back-up for Emergency Management Coordinator.
14. Attends work-related meetings, conferences and seminars and maintains all certifications as required by the Iowa State Code 29C, Iowa Administrative Code 605 and all other sections of state and federal law that govern the delivery of emergency management services in Scott County
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Emergency Management, Public Safety, Business, Public Administration or related field.
Associates degree in related field and a minimum of four (4) years of emergency management experience.
Two (2) years of experience in public safety, public or military service, disaster response/preparedness or related experience.
Previous certification in NIMS ICS100, 200, 700 and 800 preferred. Must complete within 12 months of hire.
Knowledge of principles of planning, developing and coordinating emergency management services.
Knowledge of local, state and federal regulations and standards relating to emergency management.
Knowledge of Iowa Code 29C and Iowa Administrative Code 605.
Demonstrated computer skills including the utilization of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
Ability to respond effectively and quickly in deteriorating conditions.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials/department heads, commissioners, co-workers, agencies and members of the public.
Ability to organize and present facts, ideas and opinions clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, to groups and individuals in formal and informal situations.
Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures and instructions.
Ability to independently organize and prioritize workload.
Ability to perform basic mathematical tasks.
Ability to operate general office equipment including multi-line phone, personal computer, scanner and photocopier.
Must possess valid driver's license.
Resides within a 20 mile radius of the Scott County Emergency Management Offices at 1100 E. 46th St., Davenport, IA 52807. Must meet requirement within 6 months of hire.
Reports to: Deputy Emergency Management Director
Works with: Elected officials/department heads, commissioners, other agencies, non-profits, co-workers, the media and members of the public.
Primarily indoor office work. Occasionally works outdoors in various terrains and weather conditions. May be required to be on call 24/7 as special circumstances warrant.
The following is a summary of benefits provided to non-union County employees. Benefits for employees covered under a collective bargaining agreement may vary somewhat depending on specific contract provisions.