Scott County is accepting online applications for the following position.:
Job Title: Deputy Sheriff
Closing Date/Time: Thursday, 6/27/2019, 4:30 pm
Salary: $26.18 per hour
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Davenport, Iowa
The Scott County Civil Service Commission hereby announces an open and competitive Civil Service examination for the purpose of establishing a roster for the position of Deputy Sheriff.
Download Application Packet (pdf)
1. Observe, report and investigate violations of applicable laws and ordinances to enforce law, maintain public peace and protect life and property.
2. Provide prompt response and back-up for other Deputy(s) and other agencies as necessary.
3. Assist at the scene of incidents to ensure prompt response, preserve order and take appropriate action(s).
4. Complete comprehensive reports of activities on a periodic basis.
5. Attend briefings to exchange information related to departmental objectives and cover administrative topics.
6. Attend Court proceedings or appear at Hearings to assist or give testimony.
7. Participate on internal/external committees/task-forces as assigned or necessary.
8. Provide on-the-job training and assistance for deputies to familiarize them with appropriate policies and procedures.
9. Serve as a liaison between the Sheriff's Office and the community in an effort to present, coordinate and increase awareness of various community relations/involvement programs.
10. Perform or arrange for routine maintenance on assigned County vehicle as necessary.
11. Analyze, plan and implement follow-up activities based upon data or intelligence gathered.
12. Provide input on operational policies/procedures.
13. Assume supervisory capacity as assigned or in the absence of supervisory incumbent.
14. Serve as "first responder/incident commander" at scenes until relieved by supervisor or ultimate response agency.
15. Perform other job-related duties as necessary or assigned
Applicants must be 21 years of age
United States citizen
High School Diploma or G.E.D.
Valid Driver's License
Must be able to meet all requirements as established by the ILEA
Applicants must complete a physical agility test and a written examination, administered by the Civil Service Commission on Sunday, July 14, 2019. Check-in for the physical agility test is at 8:30 am, Life Fitness Center, 2222 Middle Rd., Bettendorf, IA. All applicants wishing further consideration must report to this test. No further notification will be given.
The written examination will be administered after the physical agility test beginning at 1 pm at the Scott Emergency Communications Center, 1100 E. 46th Street, EOC Conference Room, Davenport, Iowa. Parking available with exception of the east lot of building, which is reserved for employees. Please be prompt, as no applicants will be admitted after instructions have begun.
Applicants must bring picture identification with them to all examinations.
Candidates must pass a detailed background investigation with no domestic assault or felony convictions. Successful candidates will be required to pass a post-offer physical exam including a drug screen, a psychological exam and will be subject to a polygraph examination.
Individuals ILEA certified are eligible for a $3000 hiring bonus. $1000 at time of hire with an additional $2000 after completion of one year of employment.
The following is a summary of benefits provided to non-union County employees. Benefits for employees covered under a collective bargaining agreement may vary somewhat depending on specific contract provisions.