Scott County is accepting online applications for the following position.:
Job Title: Cook
Closing Date/Time: Monday, 4/30/2018, 4:30 pm
Salary: $15.54 per hour
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Davenport, Iowa
The Scott County Sheriff's Office seeks qualified applicants for this position in the Scott County Jail. The Scott County Jail is a 24-hour, 7 day a week facility; weekend and evening hours required.
Prepare planned menus of general and special diet meals for inmates in the Jail and Annex facilities to meet assigned time schedules. Supervise the work of inmate workers assigned to the kitchen and ensure observation of proper sanitary practices.
1. Prepares general and special diet meals to meet planned daily menu. Ensures preparations meet specified quantity and quality levels. Modifies special diets as necessary to meet daily needs of individual inmates. Preparation includes, but is not limited to: baking, cooking, mixing, slicing, steaming, and cutting. Adjusts recipes as needed based on previous day's meal counts.
2. Places prepared meals on food trays in appropriate order and quantity. Serves meals to each floor as assigned. Ensures preparation of the proper number and maintains appropriate temperature of the meals for the Annex facility.
3. Supervises and trains inmate workers including but not limited to: health and safety issues, food preparation, meal service, proper use of equipment and policies and procedures.
4. Ensures sanitary conditions in compliance with current health codes and standards using daily, weekly and monthly cleaning checklists. Responsible for the cleanliness of the kitchen, storage area and equipment including freezers, cooler, meal service area, food prep area and dish area.
5. Maintains accurate documentation of meal counts and special diets due to medical or religious needs on a daily basis.
6. Assists with the Inmate Worker Vocational Training Program including interviewing and making referrals to the Food Service Manager of potential candidates, packet assembly, computer set-up, and monitoring, tutoring and coaching participants.
7. Follows Jail work rules, policies and procedures in order to maintain the safety and security of the Jail and inmate workers. Provides Food Service Manager with verbal and written information regarding inmate behavior and work performance.
8. Records temperatures of food while cooking, holding, cooling down and re-heating following the Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) program.
9. Assigns tasks to inmate workers on a daily basis to maintain an organized schedule and meet assigned deadlines.
10. May assist in checking, recording and stocking deliveries of food and non-food supplies, ordering of grocery, meat, dairy and non-food supplies and submitting payroll for processing in the absence of the Food Service Manager.
11. Prepares, sets-up and serves meals for special functions or programs as needed.
12. Performs other job-related duties as necessary or assigned.
High school diploma of GED equivalent required. 90 hour Food Service Supervisor Training required within one year of hire. Must obtain Jail Basic Certificate through the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy within one (1) year of hire date.
One (1) year of food preparation in an institutional setting required.
Ability to utilize effective written, verbal and listening communication skills in order to interact with all levels of County staff, inmate workers and outside agencies.
Possess food service abilities to prepare, bake and cook balanced meals that meet dietary requirements.
Demonstrated knowledge in sanitary food preparation regulations and practices.
Ability to perform mathematical functions in order to calculate measurements, quantities, etc.
Ability to operate calculator, food processor, mixer, meat slicer, oven, stovetop and dishwasher.
Ability to exemplify, by his or her actions, the County's PRIDE philosophy.
Individuals in need of special accommodations during the application process are asked to notify our office in advance.
Successful candidate must pass a post-offer physical examination, drug screen and background investigation.
The following is a summary of benefits provided to non-union County employees. Benefits for employees covered under a collective bargaining agreement may vary somewhat depending on specific contract provisions.