Scott County is accepting online applications for the following position.:
Job Title: Appraiser I
Closing Date/Time: Tuesday, 1/9/2018, 4:30 pm
Salary: $18.03 per hour
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Under general direction of the County Assessor, locates, lists, inspects and appraises for assessment purposes residential, multi-residential, dually-classified and/or exempt property in Scott County to determine fair market value for use in the computation of property taxes to be levied.
1. Appraises real estate for the purpose of property valuation and taxation.
2. Measures, lists, photographs and sketches new and existing construction, plats and other field projects under the direction of the Assessor and in accordance with Iowa laws.
3. Values and re-values new and existing properties as directed and in accordance with Iowa laws.
4. Reads and interprets blueprints, legal descriptions, plats and condominium articles and amendments.
5. Gathers, analyzes and objectively evaluates data and applies appropriate changes and adjustments.
6. Analyzes and compares assessments of different market areas to maintain equity and consistency in assessments.
7. Communicates regularly with property owners to address questions and concerns on the appraisal process.
8. Maintains accurate notes and records. Accurately enters data into software systems. Meets established deadlines for work assignments. Provides customer service that is professional, courteous and responsive.
9. Under supervision may provide research and support in assessment litigation and appeals.
10. Attends professional development training and continuing education courses locally and regionally at the discretion of the Assessor, often requiring travel and overnight stays.
11. Performs other duties as needed and/or assigned.
Assessor's Office, real estate appraisal, real estate sales/broker, construction or building trades, GIS or Data Base Administration experience desired. On the job training will be provided.
High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associate's degree or higher preferred.
Within 24 months of hire, must successfully complete IAAO Courses 101, Legal Descriptions, Land Valuation and Iowa Department of Revenue and Finance's Basic Assessment School or equivalent approved courses.
Must be responsible, trustworthy and honest.
Must possess a valid driver's license and reliable insured vehicle.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Ability to be proficient with one or more databases and capability to create basic queries (Camavision, Firebird, SQL, Oracle or MS Access).
Knowledge of the principles and procedures of real estate appraisal, specifically the cost approach.
Capability to utilize aerial photography software.
Knowledge of the Iowa laws, regulations and procedures governing assessments.
Knowledge of the basic principles of new and replacement construction processes and costs.
Knowledge of mathematical calculations required in valuations and appraisals.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, co-workers and work colleagues.
Ability to work with and properly handle sensitive material and information, as required.
The following is a summary of benefits provided to non-union County employees. Benefits for employees covered under a collective bargaining agreement may vary somewhat depending on specific contract provisions.