The first school built nearby in the early 1800's was made of logs and called Walnut Grove School, which was the name of the surrounding settlement. There was a post office along with some shops. Buffalo Bill once lived just north of here and it was in this area where his brother was killed. His brother's body is buried in Long Grove.
This school was built in the 1870's and was known as Butler #2. In later years it was acquired by the North Scott School Board after reorganization and was used through 1968 as a classroom. In 1969, the Conservation Board purchased the property and converted it into a museum.
Five of the desks are from this school and the remainders were donated by Ralph and Cecelia Feldpausch of Dewitt.