Please consider the following suggestions:
- Permit holders are STRONGLY encouraged to safely conceal their weapons versus carrying in the open or plain view.
- At the onset of any contact with law enforcement, IMMEDIATELY notify the deputy/officer(s) that you have a permit to carry and you are armed.
- A permit holder is required by law to carry their permit while armed by State Code of Iowa 724.5
- Prior to traveling across state lines, familiarize yourself with the laws of the state you intend to pass through and enter. Iowa recognizes and honors weapon permits from other states, but in many other states there is no such reciprocity.
- Weapon possession/use is prohibited while a person is impaired by alcohol and/or drugs by State Code of Iowa 724.4C
- Permit holders may possess weapons in vehicles but not while riding on an ATV or snowmobile.
- Contact the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for specific inquiries regarding hunting.
- Private establishments may post signs prohibiting weapons on their premises.
- Permit holders may not carry on school grounds.
- Permit holders are STRONGLY encouraged to gain proficiency with the weapon they carry (to include shooting accuracy, weapon safety, and justification in the use of deadly force).