Online Police Reporting System
Identity Theft or Fraud
File an online police report without waiting and print a copy of the report for free.
If you are the victim of identity theft or fraud please collect and keep all papers, receipts, cancelled checks, mail from companies and any other material related to this crime. We may contact you for these items if needed. You should keep copies for your records.
There are some groups you should get in touch with if you are the victim of identity theft or fraud. Some will ask for the report number you get at the end of this online police report process.
- Trans Union
- U.S. Federal Trade Commission
- Iowa Department of Motor Vehicles
Start the report.
- Protect your social security number and only give it out when required by law.
- No bank, auction site or other business should send you an email asking you to enter credit card information, passwords, social security numbers or other personal information. Often these fake emails will contain links to pages that look real but are not. If you suspect you are being directed to a fake site please go to the actual home web site of the company and inform them of what has happened.
- Avoid mail theft by obtaining a locked mailbox and dropping off outgoing mail at the local post office or postal mailbox.
- Do not give out your personal information or credit card number over the phone unless you initiated the call.
- Shred credit card offers and bank statements before you throw them away if you do not plan on using them.