Juvenile Detention Center: Gymnasium
In 2006, the center’s outdoor recreational area was transformed into a state of the art, climate controlled gymnasium as a result of grants received from the Roy J. Carver Foundation, the Scott County Regional Authority, and the River Boat Development Authority. This 1570 square foot facility is equipped with:
- Two opposing basketball hoops
- A Volleyball net
- Protective flooring/wall mats to prevent injury
- Individual strength training and cardio exercise equipment
- A mesh barrier so that residents can work out individually or take part in group games or exercises
Benefits of indoor gymnasium
- Residents are able to exercise large muscle groups 365 days a year.
- Residents have the choice between highly competitive games, less strenuous activities and individual exercise.
- Staff members are able to direct and challenge residents to expand their comfort zones and discover new areas of interest and talent.
- Residents coming to the Center with varying levels of skill and physical fitness will have a safe, secure area to develop new pass times and perhaps improve self image.
- Residents with improved self image and self esteem may be less apt to re-offend resulting in long term savings to society and taxpayers.