Scott County Historic Preservation Society
On Sept. 19, 2010, the Scott County Historic Preservation Society, Inc. will sponsor a city-wide historic homes tour to benefit the Antoine LeClaire House Historical Interpretive Center.
Enclosed is the poster listing the houses on tour. (It includes addresses, photos of each house and ticket prices.)
Scott County Historic Preservation Society (SCHPS) helped to establish the Historic Preservation Ordinance of the City of Davenport and maintains a presence at City Council meetings. We also work with other groups to encourage the enactment of policies, procedures and guidelines to protect historic properties and neighborhoods. These groups include:
- The Gold Coast
- Neighborhood Housing Services
- Quad City Heritage
- Scott County Historical Society
- United Neighbors
- Village of East Davenport Association
Bricks and Mortar...
SCHPS members have enthusiastically worked hands-on in the restoration of historic Scott County sites. Members were not only involved with grant-writing and fundraising but also have volunteered as tour guides and provided labor for yard work, paint removal, repainting and numerous other restoration efforts.
These activities include:
- Touring public and private period homes and buildings
- Architectural, neighborhood and cemetery walking tours
- Out of town field trips
- Slide presentations of local and regional architectural history
- Workshops on restoration activities such as faux painting, wallpapering, wood repair, etc.
- Seminars such as "What to look for when buying an Old House"and "How to finance the purchase of an Old House"
- Wide variety of unique programs and entertaining lectures (e.g., "Outhouses: Vanishing American Architecture" and "Tales of Brothels and Debauchery in Davenport, 1876"
- Maintaining a library of historic preservation publications and renovation/restoration print materials.
Meetings, many of which are for members only, are usually held at 7 p.m. the second Thursday of every month except August and January. Locations and other details are announced in the SCHPS Newsletters. For more information call (563) 324-7779.
Who We Are...
Scott County Historic Preservation Society, Inc. (SCHPS) is a nonprofit organization committed to the cause of historic preservation in Scott County, Iowa.
Our Purposes Are...
- To identify and foster the preservation of historic sites and buildings.
- To engage in the research and study of historic sites and buildings with the appropriate governmental agencies.
- To actively pursue the registration of historic sites and buildings with the appropriate governmental agencies.
- To develop funding to aid in the preservation of historic sites and buildings.
- To educate the public on the value and need for historic preservation.
- To provide a forum for historic preservation issues.
- To be public advocates of the cultural and economic benefits of historic preservation.
Membership Fees: $15.00 per household per year (July 1 - June 30)
- Ten newsletters per year
- Participation in society meetings
- Invitations to special events and guided tours
- Opportunity to meet and share with other people interested in historic preservation.
Scott County Historic Preservation Society, inc.
1820 Grant Street, PMB #5017
Bettendorf, Iowa 52722
For more information, use the form below to Email Scott County Historic Preservation Society:
Scott County Historic Preservation Society is not a department of the County. This page is provided as a community service to this nonprofit organization that serves Scott County.