Scott County Historic Preservation Society
Scott County Historic Preservation Society (SCHPS) helped to establish the Historic Preservation Ordinance of the City of Davenport and maintains a presence at City Council meetings. We also work with other groups to encourage the enactment of policies, procedures and guidelines to protect historic properties and neighborhoods. These groups include:
- The Gold Coast
- Neighborhood Housing Services
- Quad City Heritage
- Scott County Historical Society
- United Neighbors
- Village of East Davenport Association
Bricks and Mortar...
SCHPS members have enthusiastically worked hands-on in the restoration of historic Scott County sites. Members were not only involved with grant-writing and fundraising but also have volunteered as tour guides and provided labor for yard work, paint removal, repainting and numerous other restoration efforts.
These activities include:
- Touring public and private period homes and buildings
- Architectural, neighborhood and cemetery walking tours
- Out of town field trips
- Slide presentations of local and regional architectural history
- Workshops on restoration activities such as faux painting, wallpapering, wood repair, etc.
- Seminars such as "What to look for when buying an Old House"and "How to finance the purchase of an Old House"
- Wide variety of unique programs and entertaining lectures (e.g., "Outhouses: Vanishing American Architecture" and "Tales of Brothels and Debauchery in Davenport, 1876"
- Maintaining a library of historic preservation publications and renovation/restoration print materials.
Meetings, many of which are for members only, are usually held at 7 p.m. the second Thursday of every month except August and January. Locations and other details are announced in the SCHPS Newsletters. For more information call (563) 324-7779.
Who We Are...
Scott County Historic Preservation Society, Inc. (SCHPS) is a nonprofit organization committed to the cause of historic preservation in Scott County, Iowa.
Our Purposes Are...
- To identify and foster the preservation of historic sites and buildings.
- To engage in the research and study of historic sites and buildings with the appropriate governmental agencies.
- To actively pursue the registration of historic sites and buildings with the appropriate governmental agencies.
- To develop funding to aid in the preservation of historic sites and buildings.
- To educate the public on the value and need for historic preservation.
- To provide a forum for historic preservation issues.
- To be public advocates of the cultural and economic benefits of historic preservation.
Membership Fees: $15.00 per household per year (July 1 - June 30)
- Ten newsletters per year
- Participation in society meetings
- Invitations to special events and guided tours
- Opportunity to meet and share with other people interested in historic preservation.
Scott County Historic Preservation Society, inc.
1820 Grant Street, PMB #5017
Bettendorf, Iowa 52722
For more information, use the form below to Email Scott County Historic Preservation Society:
Scott County Historic Preservation Society is not a department of the County. This page is provided as a community service to this nonprofit organization that serves Scott County.