Abandoned Towns, Villages and Post Offices in Scott County, Iowa
From the book "ABANDONED TOWNS, VILLAGES AND POST OFFICES OF IOWA", by David C. Mott, Author. J.W.Hoffman & S.L. Purington, Publishers. 977.7 #023422313
Reprinted from the Annals of Iowa Vol. XVII & XVIII 1930-1932
- Allen's Grove
A post office from 1850 to 1851 and from 1854 to 1902 in Section 27, Allen's Grove Township.
The name of the post office at the present village from Maysville, from 1851 to 1902.
A post office (1897-1902) in the southeast corner of Section 8, LeClaire Township.
A post office (1884-90) at a point which is now within the northern limits of the city of Davenport.
The name of a post office (1881-83) at the same location as was the Walnut Grove post office, which see below.
The name of the post office at the town of Parkhurst, which see below, from 1839 to 1845.
The name of the post office (1888-1895) at Carlson, which see below.
The name of a former railway station and hamlet one and one-half miles west of the present station of Noels in Winfield Township.
A post office in the early 1860's in the eastern part of Hickory Grove Township.
- Clark's Ferry
A post office (1838-1839) at or near the present town of Buffalo.
- East Davenport
Laid out as a town in 1852 about one mile east of Brady Street, Davenport, and now included within the present city of Davenport.
- Elizabeth City
The pioneer name of the present town of Princeton. It appears on maps from 1845 to 1860 as Elizabeth City.
- Farming Grove
Listed as a post office in Scott County in 1843, but its location not found.
The name of the post office (1884-1919) at Martin's Station, Butler Township.
The name of the village from the 1850's to the 1890's which occupied the site of the present city of Bettendorf.
A name commonly applied to the village of Gilbert, which see above.
The name of a post office from 1839 to 1841 at or near the present town of Buffalo.
- Green Tree
See Green Tree Tavern below.
- Green Tree Tavern
A post office (1878-1883) in the northern part of the west Section 4, Davenport Township, five miles north and one mile west of the city of Davenport. It continued as Green Tree from 1883 to 1903.
- Hickory Grove
A post office (1839-1845) in the central part of Hickory Grove Township.
A post office in Blue Grass Township, from 1882 to 1883.
A hamlet in the southeastern part of Section 3, Buffalo Township. Post office, 1889-1904.
Listed as a post office in Scott County from 1881 to 1882, but its location not found.
- Le Claire Center
A post office from 1855 to 1856 in Le Claire Township.
- Linn Grove
A post office (1853-59) in the central part of Sheridan Township.
A hamlet in Section 24, Buffalo Township. Post office, 1880-89.
Laid out as a town in 1851 between Parkhurst and Le Claire, and later included within the town of Le Claire.
- New Buffalo
Surveyors making the original survey in 1837 recorded in their notes that they found this town, and the description shows it on the same location as the present town of Buffalo.
- New Hamburg
A post office 1869 to 1872 in the northern part of Hickory Grove Township.
Surveyors making the original in 1837 record finding this town in Section 35, Le Claire Township, and said it was prospering. It is now included in the northern portion of the town of Le Claire.
- Pinnacle Point
The name by which the present town of Princeton was first known.
A hamlet at the common corners of Sections 1 and 12, Cleona Township, and 6 and 7, Hickory Grove Township. Post office, 1873 - 1902.
- Point Pleasant
A village laid out in 1839 in Sections 4 and 5, Winfield Township, on the south bank of the Wapsipinicon River. Its life was brief. Post office, 1840-44.
A post office in 1864 in the southern part of Sheridan Township.
A town laid out in 1836 in Section 8, Rockingham Township, about four miles below the business section of Davenport. The first government surveyors of 1837 note its existence. It was a rival of Davenport for several years and contested for the county seat. Post office, 1844-47.
- Rround Grove
A post office (1855-1904) on the north lines of Section 3, Cleona Township.
A hamlet later known as Linwood, which see above. The post office was Spinneyville from 1872 to 1880.
- Valley City
The name first given (1833) to the present village and railway station of Pleasant Valley.
- Walnut Grove
A post office (1844-72) in the northern part of Section 19, Butler Township.
- West Buffalo
The name of the post office from 1841 to 1857 in a portion of the town of Buffalo.
- White Sulpher
A hamlet and former railway station in the southern part of Section 13, Buffalo Township. Post office, 1889-1905.