School Dental Screening Requirement
Effective July 1, 2008, kindergarten and ninth grade students are required to have a dental screening. The purpose of the dental screening requirement is to improve the oral health of Iowa’s children. Parents must bring their student’s certificate of dental screening to their school. Only the official Iowa form will be accepted.
- Certificate of Dental Screening (PDF)
- Dental Screening Flyer – English/En Espanol (PDF)
- Dental Screening Rules (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
I-Smile™ Coordinators work with schools throughout the state to help implement the requirement. They can assist families to get their children screened and to find follow-up care as needed. For more information call the I-Smile™ Coordinator at (563) 326-8645.
I-Smile™ at School
- Preschools: I-Smile™ provides dental screenings and fluoride treatments to children at preschools and child care centers. Watch for I-Smile™ at your child’s school, and make sure you sign up!
- Elementary and High Schools: I-Smile™ supplies school nurses and volunteer dental hygienists with the things they need to screen kindergarten and ninth grade students in Scott County schools. Contact your school nurse to find out when screenings are available.
Other Screening Opportunities:
Women Infants and Children (WIC): Dental screening and fluoride treatments are offered by Community Health Care, Inc. at the Friendly House WIC clinic. Ask the WIC staff for more information and make sure your child participates! To learn more call (563) 322-1105.
- WIC at Edgerton Women’s Health Center: http://www.qcwomenshealth.org/wic.htm
Give Kids A Smile® (GKAS): Each year hundreds of children receive dental care at no cost thanks to local dentists that donate their services through the Give Kids A Smile® program at Bethany for Children and Families. Contact your school nurse to sign your child up for the program. To learn more call (309) 736-6611.
- GKAS at Bethany for Children and Families: http://bethany-qc.org/gkas.html
Community Health Care, Inc. (CHC): The CHC dental clinic offers preventative and restorative dental care to children and adults. CHC accepts most private insurances, Medicaid, Medicare, and offers discounts based on income. To schedule an appointment call (563) 336-3221 extension 1.
- CHC Dental Clinic: http://www.davchc.com/dentist.aspx