Food Service Establishment Licensing and Enforcement Program
What types of services are offered through the Scott County Health Department Food Service Establishment Licensing and Enforcement Program?
The Food Service Establishment Licensing and Enforcement Program:
- Issues licenses for restaurants, taverns, temporary stands, and mobile units
- Conducts routine, unannounced inspections
- Provides training for food service personnel
- Approves plans for remodeling and new establishments
- Investigates complaints about facilities
- Inspects new establishments prior to opening
In order to open a new facility, what do I need to do?
- Provide a set of plans showing the equipment layout, the location of the restrooms and the location of the mop sink.
- The plans shall include a three-compartment sink with at least one drainboard. The sinks shall be large enough to hold your largest piece of equipment. A dishmachine that sanitizes either by heat or by chemical can be used in place of a three-compartment sink. There shall also be handsink(s) in the preparation area. The number of handsinks is based on accessibility to the employees while they are preparing food.
- All surfaces (floors, walls, ceilings, preparation surfaces and equipment) shall be smooth, durable and easily cleaned.
- Once the plans have been approved a copy of the plan approval form will be forwarded to the building department which has jurisdiction over the facility, and to the owner of the facility.
- Any modifications to the approved plans must be approved by the Health Department.
- The applications can be filled out and fees paid anytime prior to the pre-opening inspection. License fees are based on gross sales (or anticipated gross sales).
- A food service establishment (FSE) license is required for individual portions such as in a restaurant.
- A food establishment (FE) license is required for an operation that stores, prepares, serves or provides food for off-premise consumption.
- If the main business is a FSE, and FE sales are under $20,000 you can operate with just a FSE license. If your main business is a FE, and in addition you have a FSE, then you need to obtain both licenses. If you have both licenses you pay only 75% of each license fee.
- An inspection is required prior to opening.