Care for Kids - For Families
Care for Kids helps families with transportation to health appointments
If transportation is a barrier to getting care, Care for Kids can help families get rides to their child’s health care appointment.
Who can get rides?
Care for Kids can help provide rides to health care appointments for children with Medicaid in Scott County who are 0 through 20 years old.
How does this work?
- Rides are given at no cost to the client through a taxicab company. Bus tokens may also be given.
- Cab rides are for many kinds of health or dental visits that are paid for by Medicaid.
- Cab rides are only given to and/or from the approved location. The taxicab company cannot give cab rides to any other location.
- Care for Kids can NOT transport to WIC, DHS, the Social Security office or the Scott County Health Department.
How to schedule a ride:
- Call Scott County Care for Kids to schedule a ride. The phone number is 563-328-4114. Please call at least 24-hours before the ride is needed.
- Please be ready to share:
- Your name
- Your child’s name
- The reason for your child’s health care appointment
- The address where you would like to be picked up
- The name of the doctor or office your child will be going to and the address
- If you call less than 24 hours before your health visit, the Care for Kids staff will do their best to get you a ride, but it is not guaranteed.
- Rides cannot be scheduled or cancelled through the taxi company. This must be done through a Care for Kids staff person.
- A Care for Kids staff person will call you the day before your scheduled ride to make sure that you still need the ride for the next day.
- If your family has a medical emergency, please call 911, not Care for Kids.
When can you reach Care for Kids to schedule a ride?
- Care for Kids staff can be reached Monday through Friday: 8:00 am-4:30 pm and until 5:30 PM on Wednesdays. Please call 563-328-4114.
- The Care for Kids office is closed on these holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day.
- When a child needs to be picked up from school, you must call and speak to a Care for Kids staff person. If Care for Kids does not hear from you, the ride will not be given.
- If you need to have your child or children picked up at school or daycare on the way to or from a health visit, you must also call the school to inform them and to be sure they are ready to go.
- Children must be at least 15 years old to ride without an adult.
- You must get the ride approved from a Care for Kids staff person to go to the pharmacy.
How to cancel a ride:
- You must call the Care for Kids staff within one hour of the scheduled pick up time to cancel your ride. Please call 563-328-4114.
- If you do not cancel the ride within one hour of the scheduled pick up time it could result in the loss of future cab rides for your family.
- The Care for Kids program is charged a fee for every ride that is missed. Please cancel your ride as soon as you know you will not need it.
- Taxi pick-ups are scheduled 30-45 minutes before your scheduled health or dental visit.
- You must be ready and waiting at the time of the scheduled pick up.
- The taxi might be late if they are busy or if the weather is bad.
- Cab service may be lost if you are not ready and waiting 5 MINUTES BEFORE the scheduled pick-up time.
- The cab driver will only wait 5 minutes after the scheduled time for you.
- Children are NEVER to be left alone in the cab with the driver. The driver is not a babysitter for your children.
- No food or drink in the taxi cab.
- Children must be in either a car seat or a seat belt, based on their age.
- The driver does not have to give you a ride if you are rude, or do not follow cab rules such as wearing a seatbelt. Please be respectful to the driver.
Car seat rules:
- In Iowa the law says that children under six years of age must be in a car seat or booster seat when riding in a car, truck, or van.
- To use the Care for Kids cab service, you must follow this law. The taxi cab will not transport you without the proper car seat for your child. If you do not have a car seat, when you are scheduling your ride, please tell a Care for Kids staff person. Care for Kids will make sure you have one for your ride. If the taxi cab comes to pick you up and you do not have a car seat and you did not tell the Care for Kids staff, this will be considered a missed ride.
Reasons for loss of cab service:
- Making the taxi wait too many times.
- Not going where you said you needed to go.
- The cab ride is not for the person it was scheduled for.
- Not cancelling the ride within 1-hour of the scheduled pick up time.
- Being rude or breaking cab rules.
- Missing too many rides.
Loss of cab service will include:
- Every time you do not show up for a ride, you will be contacted by a Cares for Kids staff person.
- If you fail to show up for your cab ride three times in six months, you will not be able to use the Care for Kids taxi cab service for 60 days and bus tokens will be given until you can use the cab service again.
More Care for Kids transportation resources: