Civil Department (Law & Equity)

The Civil Department of the Iowa District Court Clerk's records and maintains all Pleadings, Orders, Motions and Exhibits filed in actions involving a monetary value of $5001.00 or greater. The primary case types handled in the Civil Department are: Domestic Relations (Divorce, Custody, Child Support, & Paternity), Debt collection, Contracts, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Foreclosures, Replevin Actions, and Legal Name Changes.

Frequently Asked Questions:

[ Divorce | Child Support | Legal Name Change ]

Legal Name Change Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change my child's name, what are the costs involved, and how long does it take to get the name changed?

The action begins with a petition for legal name change. The party requesting the name change for a child will create their own petition for the name change. A certified copy of the child's birth certificate must accompany the petition.

For furthur rules and instructions refer to the Iowa Judcial Branch website

The clerk does not have paperwork to provide for a minor's legal name change. Please refer to section 674 of the Iowa code for information regarding a legal name change. It may be obtained through the Internet at

If the father's name is on the birth certificate of the child, he must be served notice of the action. See the code for further explanation.

After the 30 day waiting period has expired, the individual requesting the name change must present the name change decree to the court for approval. This may be done mon-fri at 8:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m. or at 1:30 p.m-2:00 pm.