Wapsi River Environmental Education Center : Kestrel Cabin
Click image for larger image.
Check back in the future for the new cabin information and photos.
- Family, couple, friend & single occupancy facility
- Not intended for group rentals
- Outdoor fire pit, grill, and bird feeder
- "Screened" porch
- Living room - dining room - kitchen combo
- Kitchen with electric stove/oven, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker & cooking utensils
- Modern restroom with shower facility
- Separate, spacious bedroom
- Queen-size bed, full-size hide-a-bed and two twin beds
- Heating & cooling climate control
Rental Options (capacity 6-7 people):
- For one to three nights:
- $40 holding fee applied to stay
- $40 refundable clean-up/damage deposit due at check-in
- For four nights or more:
- $140 holding fee applied to stay
- $140 refundable clean-up/damage deposit due at check-in
- From April 15 - October 15, two-night minimum on weekends
The Kestrel Cabin is available for rent and sleeps a total of 6-7 with a queen-size bed, two twin beds, and a full-size sofa bed.
The Kestrel Cabin is available for rent and sleeps a total of 5 with a queen size bed, a twin sofa bed. Also provided are an electric stove, refrigerator, dining table and chairs, dishes and cooking utensils, and other amenities. This is a modern structure with indoor plumbing, including a shower, air conditioning, winter heating system, and a screened in porch. This is a no smoking facility.
One picnic table, grill, and small fire ring can be found next to the cabin, along with a supply of firewood. Collection of firewood from adjacent timber is not permitted. The renter needs only to provide their own bedding and pillows, towels and toiletry items, food and beverages.
Reservations are accepted on a nightly basis, with a two night minimum stay on weekends, from April 15 through October 15, and are accepted up to one calendar year in advance. Nightly rentals are available by reservation or on a first-come basis from October 16 through April 14. All reservations are confirmed upon receipt of a non refundable holding fee which is applied to your rental fee. The holding fee must be received within 7 working days of initial reservation or the reservation will be cancelled. Failure to check-in on your first day constitutes a forfeiture of fees and the remainder of your reservation. At the time of check-in, the balance due for your rental period is due in full. Sorry, no refunds.
In addition, a separate refundable clean-up/damage deposit check is required at the time of check-in. Upon check-out, if the caretaker is available, the cabin will be inspected and upon passing, the deposit check returned. If the Caretaker or Director is unavailable, your clean-up/damage deposit check will be mailed after inspection. If the cabin does not pass inspection, your deposit will be applied to the necessary clean-up/repair and the balance, if any, refunded to you within 60 days.
CHECK-IN TIME 3:30 P.M. (later if previous arrangements have been
CHECK-OUT TIME 1:00 P.M.
For more information on Rules and Regulations concerning Kestrel Cabin rental and Park operation contact the Wapsi Center at (563) 328-3286, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
Wapsi River Environmental Education Center
31555 52nd Avenue
Dixon, Iowa 52745
Scott County Conservation Board
Kestrel Cabin Rules
- Cabin is limited to one family per night. Seven persons maximum.
- The cabin is a no smoking facility.
- No tents or campers allowed near cabin area.
- Park in area provided, no roadside parking or grass parking.
- No subletting of cabin permitted.
- No one under 21 years of age unless with parent.
- Kegs are not allowed at cabin.
- Do not trespass on adjoining farm properties. Enter and exit park by designated routes.
- Residence, maintenance buildings, and the immediate area around them are off-limits.
- All pets are to be leashed while outside and no pets allowed inside facilities.
- Before leaving, renter must comply with the clean-up instructions posted in the cabin and also given to the renter at the time of check-in.
- Be ready to check-out by 1:00 pm on your last day in cabin. Be sure to lock up cabin.
- Renter must return key to the Caretaker upon departure, unless other arrangements have been made.
- Scott County Conservation Board reserves the right of management staff to enter cabin in an emergency or to inspect and/or replenish amenities provided.
Kestrel Cabin Clean-up Instructions
Following are guidelines for the clean-up prior to check-out from the cabin:
- Wipe off the vinyl mattress covers with sponge located under the sink.
- Dishes and cooking utensils to be washed and replaced in the cupboards and drawers.
- Clean the sink.
- Clean the stove.
- Clean the refrigerator.
- Clean counter tops, table and chairs.
- Clean the floors.
- Remove all trash and put in outside garbage can.
- Turn off stove burners and oven.
- Turn furnace down to 65 degrees and/or turn air conditioner off.
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Pick-up all litter around the outside of the cabin and put in garbage can.
- Follow instructions given upon arrival for key return.
It is understood and agreed that the Director or the Patrol Officer has sole authority to administer the refund or forfeiture of the clean-up/damage deposit. Damage to the property may make you liable for fines and/or additional costs required to repair and/or replace the items in question.
Kestrel Cabin Amenities: Rental, GrillWapsi River Environmental Education Center Sites: Bends to Beaches Water Trail • Eagle View Eco Center • Eagle View Eco Center Assembly Room • Elm Campsite • Kestrel Cabin • Menke Observatory • Osprey Aquatic Lab • Outdoor Amphitheater • Owl's Nest Dormitory • Pine Ring • Redtail Lodge • Shooting Range • Teams Course • Vincent Campsite