Walnut Grove Pioneer Village : Tobin Cabin
This cabin was built in 1837 by a man named Frederick Arble on the Tom Tobin farm near Long Grove. Mr. Tobin donated it to the Scott County Historical Society who in turn sponsored its move to its present location in 1970. This cabin is one of two cabins at the village.
Both cabins are built of hand hewn oak logs and the cracks were filled with mixture of clay and grass, which was called "chinking". Both cabins are typical of how the early settlers built their homes in the early 1800's. They used what was most available, logs from the many trees.
The Tobin cabin was completely disassembled with the help of many individuals, however, the reconstruction was done mainly by the efforts of Jay Osborn, Hans Hansen, and Harold Kennedy. All of the hand-made furniture was also constructed by them. They donated hundreds of man-hours and expenses on the projects. Cash donations were also given and you will find their names on the plaque.
Tobin Cabin Amenities:Walnut Grove Pioneer Village Sites: Antique Farm Machinery Building • Barber Shop • Bison Saloon • Blacksmith Shop • Boothill Cemetery • Carpenter Shop • Chicago, Burlington Quincy Caboose 14353 • Doctor's Office • Donahue Train Depot • Firehouse • Garage • Keppy & Nagle General Store • Olde St. Anns Church • Savings Bank • School Museum Butler No 2 • Shaff Cabin • Soda Fountain Shop • Telephone Office • The Ox Locomotive • Tobin Cabin