Walnut Grove Pioneer Village : School Museum Butler No 2
The first school built nearby in the early 1800's was made of logs and called Walnut Grove School, which was the name of the surrounding settlement. There was a post office along with some shops. Buffalo Bill once lived just north of here and it was in this area where his brother was killed. His brother's body is buried in Long Grove.
This school was built in the 1870's and was known as Butler #2. In later years it was acquired by the North Scott School Board after reorganization and was used through 1968 as a classroom. In 1969, the Conservation Board purchased the property and converted it into a museum.
Five of the desks are from this school and the remainders were donated by Ralph and Cecelia Feldpausch of Dewitt.
School Museum Butler No 2 Amenities:Walnut Grove Pioneer Village Sites: Antique Farm Machinery Building • Barber Shop • Bison Saloon • Blacksmith Shop • Boothill Cemetery • Carpenter Shop • Chicago, Burlington Quincy Caboose 14353 • Doctor's Office • Donahue Train Depot • Firehouse • Garage • Keppy & Nagle General Store • Olde St. Anns Church • Savings Bank • School Museum Butler No 2 • Shaff Cabin • Soda Fountain Shop • Telephone Office • The Ox Locomotive • Tobin Cabin