Walnut Grove Pioneer Village : Firehouse
The Walnut Grove Firehouse is from McCausland, Iowa and it was dismantled and reconstructed by Scott County Park crews.
The building was donated by Nelda Litcher. The Long Grove volunteer fire department donated the 1931 Dodge Firetruck and the Eldridge fire department donated the hand drawn fire cart.
In the early days, fires were fought with bucket brigades and then came the chemical firecarts, which were charged with a combination of soda and created 160 pounds of pressure so that it could be used on a fire. Firetrucks were manufactured first on a small scale up to the modern day apparatus.
In the beginning almost all fire departments were volunteer and in small communities this is still the case. The volunteer firemen have contributed much over the years.
Firehouse Amenities:Walnut Grove Pioneer Village Sites: Antique Farm Machinery Building • Barber Shop • Bison Saloon • Blacksmith Shop • Boothill Cemetery • Carpenter Shop • Chicago, Burlington Quincy Caboose 14353 • Doctor's Office • Donahue Train Depot • Firehouse • Garage • Keppy & Nagle General Store • Olde St. Anns Church • Savings Bank • School Museum Butler No 2 • Shaff Cabin • Soda Fountain Shop • Telephone Office • The Ox Locomotive • Tobin Cabin