Civil Service Commission
Notice: The Scott County Civil Service Commission hereby announces an open and competitive Civil Service examination for the purpose of establishing a roster for the position of Deputy Sheriff. Deadline is Wednesday, September 28, 2011.
Duties of the Civil Service Commission
In summary, the Code of Iowa 341A.2 states that the Civil Service Commission has the following duties:
- To adopt rules for examinations, appointments, promotions, transfers, reinstatements, demotions, suspensions and discharges.
- To administer tests to determine the ability of persons to perform required duties.
- To conduct annual investigations and reports on effectiveness and compliance of rules of commission and Code of Iowa.
- To conduct informal hearings on matters established in the Code of Iowa.
- To hear and determine appeals or complaints regarding the appointment or rejection of individuals by the Sheriff.
- To arrange, compile and administer tests to determine qualifications of individuals seeking employment and establish a list for various classes of positions in seniority order.
- To certify to the Sheriff when a vacancy is to be filled and list the individuals passing the examination.
- To classify deputy sheriffs and categorize by rank and grade based upon duties and responsibilities.