Check Offender Program
Check Screening Tips
- Be wary of new accounts. About 85% of all bad checks are written on accounts that are only a few months old.
- Get a complete street address. Do no settle for a PO Box number. Ask for a street address or more information.
- Note the check's date. Pre- or post-dated checks normally can not be prosecuted.
- Observe the writer's signature. Do no accept checks that have been previously signed.
- Make sure the signatures match. Check the writer's signature against a photo I.D., preferably a driver's license.
- Make sure figures and written amounts match. Banks will not honor checks with discrepancies between the numbers and written amounts.